Yemen on verge of total collapse: UN
April 1, Sanaa: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said on Tuesday that situation in Yemen is extremely alarming, dozens of people killed in the past four days. He also said that it is on the verge of total collapse as Saudi-led coalition continues to bomb Houthi positions.
Aid groups have warned of a humanitarian crisis unfolding with air and sea blockades making it impossible to send desperately needed assistance as casualties mount.
The UN children’s fund said that at least 62 children had been killed and 30 injured during the fighting over the past week.
Julien Harneis of UNICEF said, “Children are in desperate need of protection, and all parties to the conflict should do all in their power to keep children safe.”
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said it had received more than 550 patients in the southern city of Aden since March 19 as a result of the Saudi-led bombing.
“We urgently need to find ways to get humanitarian relief and personnel inside the country,” said MSF’s Greg Elder. He denounced reported attacks by Houthi-linked fighters on three hospitals in Daleh that caused an unknown number of casualties.
Amnesty International accused the Saudi-led coalition of turning a blind eye to civilian deaths as it reported four children were among six burned to death in strikes on Ibb, in central Yemen.
The UN has also criticised the deadly bombing of a camp for displaced people in north Yemen, saying it was a violation of international law.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon separately said that he was “deeply concerned” by reports of numerous civilian deaths from the military campaign against Shia Houthi rebels, who deposed internationally recognised President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in February.
The Oslo Times