Second round of Afghan-Taliban talks set for July 30 

taliban

July 24, Kabul: Last of July is set for the second round of official talks between representatives of the Kabul government and the Taliban, which aims at ending the 14-year war.

The talks will takes place in China on July 30, an Afghan official said Friday.

The two sides are still working out the details such as the list of attendants, which should be finalized in the coming days, said Mohammad Ismail Qasimyar of the High Peace Council, the body charged with negotiating a settlement with the insurgents.

Qasimyar said that Kabul would request a temporary cease-fire in the fighting, which has intensified following the April launch of the Taliban’s warm-weather offensive, The Associated Press reported.

The first round of official face-to-face talks took place in Islamabad on July 7, supervised by American and Chinese representatives. They followed several informal contacts since President Ashraf Ghani came into office last year. Ghani has made peace talks with the Taliban a priority.

Spokesman for the High Peace Council, lawmaker Shazada Shahid, said at least one woman will be on the government team.

The Oslo Times

The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times
Logged in to post comment.


Login