Pakistan to appeal to cancel Mumbai attack mastermind Lakhvi’s bail 

alt

Islamabad, Dec 19: A Pakistani prosecutor has said the government will try to cancel the bail granted to Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi, the main suspect in the Mumbai terror attacks.

State prosecutor Mohammad Azhar Chaudhry said on Friday he would challenge the court order.

Earlier, special public prosecutor Abu Zar Peerzada had said he would also appeal to the High Court to cancel the bail given by an anti-terrorism court on Thursday.

He said Lakhvi has not been freed from jail.

The 2008 attack in the Indian city of Mumbai killed 166 people.

Lakhvi is one of seven people on trial in Pakistan for the assault, but the trial has produced no results so far.

 

India reacted with outrage to the report on Thursday that the main suspect in the case was going to be released.

 

India said Thursday it expected Islamabad to appeal a Pakistani court’s decision to grant bail to the alleged mastermind of the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai.

 

Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh termed the ruling “unfortunate”. “India has given enough evidence (against Lakhvi). We expect the Pakistan government to appeal at the earliest,” he told journalists in New Delhi.

 

The court’s ruling on Thursday came just a day after Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif vowed to crack down on terror groups in Pakistan, after Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan gunmen massacred 148 people, mostly teenagers, at a school in Peshawar.

 

Lakhvi, the mastermind of the Mumbai attack, is still in jail as the government has detained him under Maintenance of Public Order.

 

 

The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times
Logged in to post comment.


Login