Migrant arrival from the Mediterranean crosses 50,000 in Italy 

europe-migrant-boat-disaster

June 8, Rome: Over 50,000 migrants have landed in Italian soil this year according to news reports..As another frantic weekend of rescues ended, nearly 6,000 people were brought to safety from packed fishing boats and rubber dinghies off Libya.

Meanwhile, mass drowning in the Mediterranean has claimed nearly 1,800 lives so far this year.All those rescued will be deposited at Sicilian ports or elsewhere in southern Italy in the coming days, placing more strain on the country’s already stretched migrant facilities as complaints mount about the cost and other problems involved in processing the new arrivals.

The latest batch sent the migration crisis back to the top of the political agenda with three big northern regions vowing to defy the centre-left government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi by refusing to house any of the new arrivals.

Lombardy president Roberto Maroni said he would be writing to local mayors and prefects in his region on Monday to warn them not to accept any more “illegal immigrants” allocated by the government.”We cannot simply deal with the symptoms of this problem. We must go after the route cause and the trafficking gangs behind it who are making money out of human misery,” Fallon said.

The international naval effort was a successful “temporary” measure, he said.

The Oslo Times and Agencies

 

 

The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times
Logged in to post comment.


Login