Human Rights groups, raise an eyebrow over US decision to resume Security Assistance to Bahrain 

bahrain

June 30, Bahrain: Security assistance that had been  withheld since 2011, when the Gulf state put down mass Shia-led protests has resumed after four years. However this decision was taken despite Human Rights concerns raised by Human Rights groups in the region.

But US State Department spokesman John Kirby has said that Bahrain had made progress on human rights, including the release of political prisoners.”We believe it is important to recognize that the government of Bahrain has made some meaningful progress on human rights reforms and reconciliation,” State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement.

The US Navy’s Fifth fleet, which has flown airstrike missions over Syria as part of the US-led coalition against Islamic State (IS), is stationed at Bahrain and this is the possible reason that the ban has been lifted.

An Amnesty International report on the Human Rights situation in Bahrain states that  there has been no improvement in the human rights situation following the ban couple of years ago. In fact according to the report, there has been a wide spread of Human Rights violations by government  and government authorities–“these include torture and other ill-treatment of detainees, unfair trials, the imprisonment of prisoners of conscience and unlawful killings, with those responsible all too frequently escaping accountability”, the Amnesty International report states.

Despite criticism  from human rights groups, in regards to Bahrain’s atrociousness against freedom of expression, political prisoners who are  packed inside Bahrain’s jails.

Meanwhile, Kirby also added that the lift of these holds, does not mean that the US will stop pressing Bahrain on human rights concerns.

The Oslo Times

The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times
Logged in to post comment.


Login