HRW accuses Yemen rebels of war crimes
May 7, Sanaa: Human Rights Watch said on Thursday that pro-Houthi rebel forces shot and killed two women and detained 10 local aid workers hostage in Yemen’s southern city of Aden.
The New York-based Human Rights Watch said that the incidents, which happened last month, exemplify the grave threats to civilians in the embattled port city where Shia rebels and their allies are fighting forces loyal to President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
HRW said that the two women were struck by gunfire in separate incidents on April 17 and 18, and died before relatives could find a medical facility to treat them.
Pro-Houthi forces also unlawfully detained 10 local aid workers for 14 days, releasing two only after payments were made. Deliberate attacks on civilians and taking hostages are war crimes, the group said.
HRW identified the victims as Sabreen al-Aboos, 20, and Neveen al-Taib, 42. The accusations came a day after a boat carrying civilians attempting to leave Aden was shelled, killing 40 civilians.
Defence Minister of Yemen Riyadh Yassine, speaking in the Saudi capital Riyadh, pointed the accusing finger at the Houthi rebels.
At least 120 people have been killed in Aden since fighting began there in March but some of the victims have been killed in air strikes launched by a coalition of Arab nations led by Saudi Arabia.
The Oslo Times