Everest climber not yet ready to quit: After quake and avalanche 


April 27, Katmandu: Climber Nick Cienski has not given up on his World record bid to scale six 8,000-metre peaks this calendar year, despite narrowly escaping a huge avalanche on Mount Everest set off by an earthquake that killed thousands of people in Nepal.

The avalanche unleashed by the 7.9 magnitude quake on Saturday blew tents, people and gear hundreds of feet, only just missing his team, the Canadian told Reuters on Monday by satellite telephone from base camp.

A day after helping to recover the bodies of 12 of at least 17 avalanche victims, Cienski agonized over whether to continue his quest in the poor Himalayan nation struck by a greater tragedy. More than 3,700 people have died.

“We are still sorting through a lot of emotions; 24 hours ago we were wrapping people’s body parts in bags,” said Cienski, speaking over the noise of helicopters evacuating climbers two-by-two from further up the World‘s tallest peak.

“So on the one hands the reality of that … and on the second hand, we are climbers and this is sort of what we do” , “And so, does it make sense to continue?” said Cienski, an executive with a U.S. outdoor apparel firm.

Injured avalanche survivors were flown down the mountain on Sunday, but many of the more than 300 foreign climbers attempting to scale Everest were staying put for the time being.

Phil Crampton, expedition leader of New York-based climbing outfit Altitude Junkies, said on Sunday it wasn’t yet clear whether his team would pull out of base camp or press on.

Crampton was on the 8,850-metre (29,035-foot) mountain a year ago when an avalanche struck the Khumbu icefalls, killing 16 Sherpa mountain guides, in what was until now the worst climbing tragedy on Everest.”I think we are all just going to wait and see what happens,” he told Reuters by phone from the camp, “I’m not familiar with any teams leaving base camp yet. I think a few teams went down the valley for a few days. They plan to return.”

Romanian climber Alex Gavan, who had microblogged his eyewitness account of the avalanche and its aftermath, said he had left Everest base camp to help the earthquake relief effort.

“The time is not for climbing now, but for helping Nepali people,” he posted on Twitter on Monday.          The Oslo Times

The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times The Oslo Times
Logged in to post comment.