Egypt releases imprisoned Egyptian-American activist Mohamed Soltan
May 30, Cairo: Egypt freed American-Egyptian activist Mohamed Sultan, who has been on hunger strike for over a year in protest against his detention in Egypt. He has been sent back to his home country, the United states
It is with pleasure that we confirm that our son, Mohamed, is returning back to us after a detention that lasted for two years,” Sultan’s family, which resides in the U.S., said in statement.
Soltan boarded a flight from Cairo to Washington on Saturday with a US consulate official and medical staff.
Soltan, a 27-year-old US-Egyptian dual citizen and human rights activist, was arrested in September 2013 when police was searching for his father, a senior member of the now outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.
Last month, Mohammed was sentenced to life in prison for allegedly supporting the group, a verdict his family challenges, saying that there was no evidence against him.
A website calling for his release also said he was not a member of the Brotherhood, describing him as a US-educated peace activist who was involved in youth events and charities.
The website shows pictures of him lying emaciated on a stretcher while in detention.
The US embassy said at the time of the verdict that it was “gravely concerned” about Mohamed Soltan and would “continue to monitor his case closely and to provide him with all possible support”.
His father, Salah Soltan, was arrested in October 2013 and was later sentenced to death.
Thousands of Brotherhood supporters have been arrested and hundreds handed the death sentence in a campaign that human rights groups say shows the incumbent government is systematically repressing opponents.
The Soltan family released a statement in which it expressed gratitude for the support that lead to Mohamed’s release.
The Oslo Times